Skip to main content

Folk Fest 2016: When the People Rocked the Music

When they announced this year's lineup, I was super disappointed. No big names. No Quebecois band. No one I loved. Heck, very few I even sort of liked!





In fact, I almost didn't go. It's such hard work and quite stressful, but one of my music people really wanted us to be there for her, so go I did.





And I don't regret it. Because while the music was meh, the people were awesome. I love my tarp family, and cherish the moments I get to spend with them. So much so, that despite the lineup, I'll be there for 2017 too.





But here's a Top 3 nonetheless:





1. The Year of the African Bands


I always try to see an African Band at the folk fest, but this year was their year and I had all the time for them. Friday's second session with Daby Toure, Black Umfolosi, Joel Fafard and Samantha Martin and Delta Sugar was probably the best jamming session I saw.








Joel Fafard, Black Umfolosi, Daby Toure and Samantha Martin et al.







I took in Black Umfolosi's concert and it was as joyful as ever. Here's a quick video I shot of my favourite song of theirs.








Black Umfolosi







And the last small stage concert of the weekend, Jah Prayzah and the 3rd Generation Band, had my tarp family up like dancing fools and it was a fun time to share together.








Dance Party with Jah Prayzah!







Next year, I'll make an extra point to check out the African groups!





2. Sometimes I surprise even myself, but I really enjoyed The Cat Empire's afternoon main stage concert. I'd definitely see them again.





3. Besides Friday's jammy session, the second best session I was was on Sunday and included Martyn Carthy, Matt Molloy and John Carty with Arty McGlynn, Dervish and the Kruger Brothers. It was a celtic jammy master class and very enjoyable. I had forgotten how funny Cathy Jordan ("Cathy Dervish") is.








Martyn Carthy, Matt Molloy and John Carty with Arty McGlynn, Dervish and the Kruger Brothers







Honourable Mention





The Step Crew was a little showy (they remind me of Barrage), but put on a good side stage concert.








The Step Crew







No super stand outs, besides the African contingent, but another year of perfect weather spent with perfect people with a perfect view of the hill. 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Music < Tarp Family: Folk Fest 2014 Wrap Up

It's taken me a long time to write this post because mostly I couldn't think of how to fill out my top 5 for the Edmonton Folk Fest 2014 . This was not a stellar year on the hill for music for me. I've previously acknowledged that I've pigeon holed myself so much musically that I enjoy less and less these days. And this year, I'm a bit burnt out and didn't really want to deal with the early mornings and the lines. I was only going to go for one day to see Michael Franti, but ended up being talked into getting a weekend pass. And it was a good thing I went for the whole festival. View of the city is always stunning from the hill. Here's my Folk Fest 2014 top 5: 1. My Tarp Family - Even though the music was not awesome for me this year, my tarp family sure was. This is the second (or third, we can't remember) year I've hung out at the top of the hill with my (relatively new) usual music crew. And over the years I've really come to love spending tim...

2018 Fantasy Nascar Profile: Chase Elliott

Welcome to TimersSports  Driver Name: Chase Elliott Car #: 9 Make: Chevy Season Debut: 2016 (First-Full Season) Number of Championships: 0 # of Career Starts: 77 # of Career Poles: 3 # of Career Wins: 0 # of Career Top 5s: 22  # of Career Top 10s: 38  # of Career DNFs: 7 # of Career laps led: 918 Career Average Finish: 14.1   Career Average Start: 11.9 # of 2017 Wins: 0 # of 2017 Top 5s: 12 # of 2017 Top 10s: 21 # of 2017 Poles: 0 # of 2017 DNFs: 4 # of 2017 laps led: 560  2017 Average Finish: 12.0 2017 Average Start: 10.8 2017 Fantasy Recap - I was kinda surprise by Elliott numbers as whole in 2017, he had a better 2017 than he did 2016. Even though at times, it did feel like Elliott has taken a step back in his second year at the cup level. I also felt like (throughout the year) that Elliott didn't truly take off until we got into the Nascar playoffs. The driver of the No.24 car was a force to be reckon with and a common name in drama down the stench. In those...

Book Review: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

I quit my book club and stopped reading. I started to feel stupid. Like I'd lost my words. And as a librarian, whenever I don't read recreationally I feel guilty. Like it's my job or something. So I started a book club with some super local nearby northsider friends. It was scary at first, mixing different groups of friends but they're all awesome and everyone seems to get along great! The thing about my old book club I really liked was that it was open genre - we picked a different genre/topic each month and each read different books then talked about them. This really appealed to me because I don't like being told what to read and I don't like wasting time reading what I don't want to read. However, this doesn't appeal to everyone so for this new book club we're going to alternate reading the same book with an open genre/topic. I think. We'll see how month two goes. Choosing a book was actually not painful. Some people brought recommendations, ...