Skip to main content

2015 Canada Cup - The End

[Catch up on The Beginning and The Middle...]



Last Day



The end. Always bittersweet.



Busy day with two finals, and then final tear down. This event is a bit different, with the knowledge that we're all coming back in February for the Scotties, so the good byes weren't as sad as usual. The volunteers and local media have been great, so it'll be nice to see the same people again in a couple months. I think I've also sussed out the cheap & cheerful eats near the arena too, score!



And as always, I cherish the time I spend as a fly on the wall as the veteran curling media guys swap stories and reminisce about curling events and personalities from the past. It really is a privilege to work with them event after event. They're always really good to me, welcoming me and making me feel comfortable in the media room. Besides my curling boss (who is my favourite boss because he says thank you and is always a pleasure to work with), I tend to get along well with the various guys who write for the event newspaper; I usually sit next to them on the media bench and we chatter in the scrum area. This event's writer was great as usual so I hope to meet up with him again down the road.



I'm not a pro at media/videography stuff. I know what I know because I've learned a few things, but I don't know everything (like how to stop the horrible glare and shadows coming off the lights. Need covers next event). I do this for fun on my vacation. So to continue to be asked to work for Curling Canada at these events is a real honour, and an opportunity I hope I can continue relishing for more curling seasons!



So I'll say good bye to the curling world and Grande Prairie, but only briefly as I'll be back in February!






Happened upon the set up for a Santa Claus parade on my walk to the arena. I particularly liked the dozen bobcats decked out as all different Santa's reindeer!









Women's final. Best seat in the house.









Homan wins!









This young piper was the best of the week!









Men's final.









This is what you miss during commercial breaks. Live it live!










Koe wins! I sure do love this gig!










Tear down begins as soon as the camera turns off, even as the teams celebrate their victories.









The end. See you down the road!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Music < Tarp Family: Folk Fest 2014 Wrap Up

It's taken me a long time to write this post because mostly I couldn't think of how to fill out my top 5 for the Edmonton Folk Fest 2014 . This was not a stellar year on the hill for music for me. I've previously acknowledged that I've pigeon holed myself so much musically that I enjoy less and less these days. And this year, I'm a bit burnt out and didn't really want to deal with the early mornings and the lines. I was only going to go for one day to see Michael Franti, but ended up being talked into getting a weekend pass. And it was a good thing I went for the whole festival. View of the city is always stunning from the hill. Here's my Folk Fest 2014 top 5: 1. My Tarp Family - Even though the music was not awesome for me this year, my tarp family sure was. This is the second (or third, we can't remember) year I've hung out at the top of the hill with my (relatively new) usual music crew. And over the years I've really come to love spending tim...

2018 Fantasy Nascar Profile: Chase Elliott

Welcome to TimersSports  Driver Name: Chase Elliott Car #: 9 Make: Chevy Season Debut: 2016 (First-Full Season) Number of Championships: 0 # of Career Starts: 77 # of Career Poles: 3 # of Career Wins: 0 # of Career Top 5s: 22  # of Career Top 10s: 38  # of Career DNFs: 7 # of Career laps led: 918 Career Average Finish: 14.1   Career Average Start: 11.9 # of 2017 Wins: 0 # of 2017 Top 5s: 12 # of 2017 Top 10s: 21 # of 2017 Poles: 0 # of 2017 DNFs: 4 # of 2017 laps led: 560  2017 Average Finish: 12.0 2017 Average Start: 10.8 2017 Fantasy Recap - I was kinda surprise by Elliott numbers as whole in 2017, he had a better 2017 than he did 2016. Even though at times, it did feel like Elliott has taken a step back in his second year at the cup level. I also felt like (throughout the year) that Elliott didn't truly take off until we got into the Nascar playoffs. The driver of the No.24 car was a force to be reckon with and a common name in drama down the stench. In those...

Book Review: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

I quit my book club and stopped reading. I started to feel stupid. Like I'd lost my words. And as a librarian, whenever I don't read recreationally I feel guilty. Like it's my job or something. So I started a book club with some super local nearby northsider friends. It was scary at first, mixing different groups of friends but they're all awesome and everyone seems to get along great! The thing about my old book club I really liked was that it was open genre - we picked a different genre/topic each month and each read different books then talked about them. This really appealed to me because I don't like being told what to read and I don't like wasting time reading what I don't want to read. However, this doesn't appeal to everyone so for this new book club we're going to alternate reading the same book with an open genre/topic. I think. We'll see how month two goes. Choosing a book was actually not painful. Some people brought recommendations, ...