Skip to main content

Book Review: The Rosie Project

I wanted to read this book when it came out because it had a bike on it and I'm kinda into bikes right now. But after reading the blurb, turns out it's about love. Yuck.



Fast forward a year. A colleague insisted on lending me this book. As before, I wanted nothing to do with it: as a long standing member of The Spinster Club I try to have nothing to do with love stories. However, my colleague assured me it wasn't a traditional love story. Then my other colleague mentioned the main character had Asperger's and that it was quite quirky, so I thought, hey, why not.





The Rosie Project

By Graeme Simsion

2013

288 pages



Don, a genetics professor and researcher, is not your average guy - he lives by rules and schedules and routines and may/may not have Asperger's. Regardless, he has decided to hack the usual speed/online dating gig by creating an exceptionally precise questionnaire as part of The Wife Project. Enter Rosie, a woman who doesn't pass the questionnaire. Yet after spending some time together, Don starts to step out of his routine, and might actually have "feelings" for someone else.



Narrated by Don, this novel provides a unique look into the mind of someone who sees the world quite differently than the masses. It's about love, but also a glimpse into another way of living. And that's where this book shines. Maybe the love stuff was contrived, but I certainly enjoyed reading about the inner workings of Don's psyche.



Funny, clever, sweet. I enjoyed this book, and it's worth a read just for acquiring a better understanding of someone who may/may not have Asperger's. The's a sequel now, The Rosie Effect, so I'll probably pick it up. A good light read on the bus so pick it up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Music < Tarp Family: Folk Fest 2014 Wrap Up

It's taken me a long time to write this post because mostly I couldn't think of how to fill out my top 5 for the Edmonton Folk Fest 2014 . This was not a stellar year on the hill for music for me. I've previously acknowledged that I've pigeon holed myself so much musically that I enjoy less and less these days. And this year, I'm a bit burnt out and didn't really want to deal with the early mornings and the lines. I was only going to go for one day to see Michael Franti, but ended up being talked into getting a weekend pass. And it was a good thing I went for the whole festival. View of the city is always stunning from the hill. Here's my Folk Fest 2014 top 5: 1. My Tarp Family - Even though the music was not awesome for me this year, my tarp family sure was. This is the second (or third, we can't remember) year I've hung out at the top of the hill with my (relatively new) usual music crew. And over the years I've really come to love spending tim...

2018 Fantasy Nascar Profile: Chase Elliott

Welcome to TimersSports  Driver Name: Chase Elliott Car #: 9 Make: Chevy Season Debut: 2016 (First-Full Season) Number of Championships: 0 # of Career Starts: 77 # of Career Poles: 3 # of Career Wins: 0 # of Career Top 5s: 22  # of Career Top 10s: 38  # of Career DNFs: 7 # of Career laps led: 918 Career Average Finish: 14.1   Career Average Start: 11.9 # of 2017 Wins: 0 # of 2017 Top 5s: 12 # of 2017 Top 10s: 21 # of 2017 Poles: 0 # of 2017 DNFs: 4 # of 2017 laps led: 560  2017 Average Finish: 12.0 2017 Average Start: 10.8 2017 Fantasy Recap - I was kinda surprise by Elliott numbers as whole in 2017, he had a better 2017 than he did 2016. Even though at times, it did feel like Elliott has taken a step back in his second year at the cup level. I also felt like (throughout the year) that Elliott didn't truly take off until we got into the Nascar playoffs. The driver of the No.24 car was a force to be reckon with and a common name in drama down the stench. In those...

Book Review: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

I quit my book club and stopped reading. I started to feel stupid. Like I'd lost my words. And as a librarian, whenever I don't read recreationally I feel guilty. Like it's my job or something. So I started a book club with some super local nearby northsider friends. It was scary at first, mixing different groups of friends but they're all awesome and everyone seems to get along great! The thing about my old book club I really liked was that it was open genre - we picked a different genre/topic each month and each read different books then talked about them. This really appealed to me because I don't like being told what to read and I don't like wasting time reading what I don't want to read. However, this doesn't appeal to everyone so for this new book club we're going to alternate reading the same book with an open genre/topic. I think. We'll see how month two goes. Choosing a book was actually not painful. Some people brought recommendations, ...